Marionette lines, also known as puppet lines, are wrinkles or creases that form on either side of the mouth, extending downwards towards the chin. The name marionette lines is because of their resemblance to the lines on the face of a marionette puppet.
Marionette lines are a natural part of the ageing process. As the skin loses its elasticity and the underlying facial muscles weaken. Your lines can also be caused by different factors, such as sun exposure, smoking, and repeated facial expressions. In some cases, genetic factors may also play a role in their development.
There are several preventative measures that you can take to help minimise the development or delay their onset. Options include protecting your skin from the sun, quitting smoking and staying hydrated.
Marionette lines can make a person look older or more tired and can be a source of self-consciousness. There are various treatments available to help reduce the appearance of lines, including dermal fillers or surgical facelifts.
What are Marionette Lines?
Marionette lines are located on either side of the mouth. They can appear as deep creases or folds that extend from the nose to the chin. The name comes from marionette puppets and the resemblance of puppet mouth lines. The appearance of these lines can vary from person to person. They typically become more noticeable with age as the skin loses elasticity and collagen.
Marionette lines around mouth can make a person look more tired or sad. While part of the ageing process, there are various treatments available to help reduce their appearance, including fillers for marionette lines, thread lift for marionette lines, and facelifts.
Guide to Facial Rejuvenation
Marionette Lines Causes
Marionette lines are also known as puppet lines on face. They can be caused by a variety of factors. Let’s discuss some common causes:
- Natural ageing process: As we age, our skin loses elasticity and collagen, which can cause the skin to sag and form wrinkles.
- Repeated facial expressions: Making certain facial expressions repeatedly, such as pursing the lips or squinting.
- Sun exposure: UV radiation from the sun can damage the skin and cause premature ageing.
- Smoking: Smoking can cause the skin to age prematurely, and the repeated pursing of the lips can contribute to the formation of wrinkles.
- Genetics: Some people may be more predisposed to developing lines due to their genetic makeup.
- Weight loss: Rapid or significant weight loss can cause the skin to sag, which can contribute to the formation of facial lines and creases in the skin.
- Poor skincare: Neglecting to care for your skin can cause it to age more quickly.
Some of these factors, such as genetics and the natural ageing process are unavoidable. However, there are preventative measures that can you can take to minimise the development of facial lines, such as protecting your skin from the sun, avoiding smoking, staying hydrated, and using anti-ageing skincare products. Additionally, there are various treatments available to help reduce the appearance of lines, including marionette lines filler, or facelifts.
Marionette Lines Treatment
Many people dealing with pesky lines ask how to get rid of marionette lines. Don’t worry there are several treatment options available to help restore a more youthful appearance.
Filler for jowls and marionette lines is a great way to reduce the appearance of chin lines. The best facial fillers for marionette lines are dermal fillers made from hyaluronic acid. Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring molecule found in the body, that plays a critical role in maintaining hydration, elasticity, and firmness.
The dermal fillers are injected into your lines to fill the crease and add more plumpness. Filler is not permanent you can expect the results of your treatment may last anywhere between 6 and 18 months.
Another minimally-invasive option is PDO threads marionette lines. A thread lift is a non-surgical procedure that involves using a dissolvable suture to lift and tighten your skin. The procedure is usually quick. You can have it completed in less than 45 minutes with results lasting around 6 months.
The best treatment for marionette lines that has long-lasting results is a face lift. Face lift surgery can help reduce the signs of ageing. The procedure involves making incisions around the hairline and ears, lifting and repositioning the skin, tightening the underlying muscles, and removing any excess skin. The result is a more youthful and rejuvenated appearance.
Another way to fix marionette lines is combining a face lift with neck lift surgery. A neck lift is a procedure that removes excess skin and tissue from the neck region. This can tighten your skin and improve the shape of your neck and jawline.
Prevention of Marionette Lines
Marionette lines can be frustrating but there are preventative steps you can take to minimise their appearance. By taking good care of your skin and making healthy lifestyle choices, you can help prevent the formation or delay their onset.
Lifestyle Changes and Habits
- Protect your skin from the sun: Exposure to ultraviolet (UV) rays can cause premature ageing of the skin, including the formation of marionette lines. Protect your skin from the sun by wearing broad-spectrum sunscreen with at least SPF 30, a wide-brimmed hat, and sunglasses.
- Quit smoking: Smoking can accelerate the ageing process and contribute to the development of marionette lines. Quitting smoking can help improve the overall health and appearance of your skin.
- Stay hydrated: Drinking plenty of water can help keep your skin hydrated and plump, reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Maintain a healthy diet and stable weight: Eating a balanced diet rich in fruits, vegetables, lean protein, and healthy fats can provide your skin with the nutrients it needs to stay healthy and youthful-looking. Additionally, a fluctuating weight can cause excess skin so it’s best to maintain a stable weight.
- Consider using anti-ageing skincare products: Look for products that contain retinol, which can help improve the overall appearance of your skin.
Nevertheless, these preventative measures can not completely prevent the formation of facial lines, they can certainly help delay their onset or minimise their severity.
If you are considering a procedure to reduce the look of your lines it’s important to consult with a qualified professional. You need to ensure that your surgeon is qualified and highly experienced. You should feel comfortable that they understand your goals and can them.
Dr Mark Doyle is renowned for his exceptional surgical ability, artistic skills and caring bedside manner. Dr Doyle is dedicated to helping his patients look and feel their best.
Dr Mark Doyle, Specialist Plastic Surgeon
- Fellow of the Royal Australian College of Surgeons – FRACS (Plas)
- 30+ years of cosmetic surgery experience
- 15,000+ hours in the operating theatre
- 10,000+ surgeries performed including 1,000+ face surgeries
- 200+ positive reviews
- Extensive expertise in surgical planning and 3D imaging
- Committed follow-up and 12 months aftercare including scar treatment
- Helped thousands of happy clients! See for yourself with these Face and Neck Lift Before and After Photos.
What is the best filler for marionette lines and jowls?
The best filler for marionette lines and jowls can vary depending on individual needs and preferences. Hence, hyaluronic acid fillers are often a popular choice for these areas because they provide natural-looking results.
How long does filler last in marionette lines?
Dermal fillers can last between 6 to 12 months. The filler is gradually metabolized by your body and naturally broken down.
Your individual results and longevity of filler may vary. This can be affected by various factors including the amount of product used, the depth of the injection, and the individual’s lifestyle and metabolism.
Will losing weight help marionette lines?
If the lines are caused by excess fat or skin on the lower face, losing weight may help improve the appearance of lines in some individuals. Additionally, it is important to note that lines can also be caused by other factors.
In many cases, rapid weight loss can actually increase the appearance of lines by causing the skin to sag and lose elasticity, which can make lines and wrinkles more prominent. Working with an experienced healthcare provider can help you to develop a personalised treatment plan that addresses your individual concerns and goals.
Does filler in marionette lines lift jowls?
Yes, filler in the marionette lines can help lift the jowls to some extent. The marionette lines are the folds that extend from the corners of the mouth to the chin, and they can contribute to the appearance of sagging skin and jowls in the lower face.
Filling in your lines with a dermal filler can lift and tighten your skin. Luckily, this can also help to lift the jowls and improve the overall contour of the lower face. It is important to note that the degree of lifting and improvement in the jowl area will depend on individual factors such as the severity of the jowls and the amount of filler used.
About Dr Mark Doyle FRACS (Plast) – Specialist Plastic Surgeon
Dr Mark Doyle is a Specialist Plastic Surgeon with over thirty years of experience. He specialises in face lift surgery in Gold Coast and Brisbane, and also offers a range of body and breast procedures.
Dr Doyle is a fully qualified Doctor and surgeon. He has completed all required training to be a Specialist Plastic Surgeon and is driven by an committed to providing excellent standards of care.
Do Your Research
- Read the Website and Blogs relevant to your procedure
- Read our Frequently Asked Questions
- Learn about the Risks and Complications of Surgery
- Download our Plastic Surgery Guides
- Browse Dr Doyle’s YouTube Channel
What to Bring to Your Plastic Surgeon Consultation
- Bring a friend or relative for support and discussion regarding your choices
- Take notes and read all provided information thoroughly
- Read about what to expect in your Initial Surgery Consultation
Book Your Plastic Surgery Consultation
- Get a Referral from your GP or specialist – this is required to book a consultation with Dr. Doyle.
- Email us or call on 07 5598 0988 to arrange your consultation appointment.
- Pay your $285 Consultation Fee in advance to secure your consultation.
Please contact us to arrange to book a consultation with our Specialist Plastic Surgeon or to speak with our Patient Care Advisor.
Send an enquiry form today or phone 07 5598 0988 during Clinic Hours.
*DISCLAIMER: All information on Dr Mark Doyle website is general and is not intended to be medical advice nor does it constitute a doctor-patient relationship. Results can vary significantly and depend on individual patient circumstances. All images on this website, unless specified as real patient images, are stock images used for illustrative purposes only. Surgery risks and complications will be covered in detail during a consultation with your surgeon. Book a consult for details regarding your cosmetic surgery procedure.
Dr. Mark Doyle AHPRA Registration: Dr Mark Doyle MED0001375519 Specialist Plastic Surgery – MBBS FRACS FRCS